Saturday, July 24, 2010

Porta Arabia, Tower 2






Week 2 done! Another productive week at work. I finally secured my pass to the site, so that is really exciting. That means each morning I have a decision to make, to work in the city or go to site. Most days...site! That is where the action is.

My favorite part of the week was finally meeting the woman I have been corresponding with for several months. She is my expert of Doha. Her and her husband picked me up and off we went for a dinner of laughs and stories of our times here in Qatar. What fun! Next week we have a breakfast date at a place that serves breakfast all day long...can't wait!

I was also invited for a birthday party of one of my colleagues. She had traditional food from Holland and a slew of fancy cakes from around the city. I have found these gatherings exceptionally fun because you have a different mix of nationalities. The conversations inevitably turn to "how do you it in your country?". Realized the sorority and fraternity thing is just a US thing. I also learned about the "kissing thing" in Europe (i.e. 2, 3, or 4 cheat kisses depending on where you are in Europe)

Many of you have been asking about the living accommodations here. I have to say...not to shabby. As my best bud adequately described when she toured my place via Skype, "It looks like a hotel". Most of the amenities are exactly the same as what you could find in the States. There are a few differences....no coffee maker (there is a handy white pitcher looking contraction that plugs into the wall and boils water-like a tea pot but plugs in. You then pour your boiling water over these coffee grindings-again not beans, and not grounds, more like grindings. This 2step process gets you and your fiends a nice hot cup of Joe. Of course if you are in the office, you have "tea boys" who have an amazing memory and bring you coffee and cold water throughout the day-just like you like it), the electrical outlets you have to turn on before you can use them. They also require adapters and converters to work for anything bought outside the Middle East, to the bidet in every bathroom. Enjoy the view into my "flat" at the Peal....

2 comments:

  1. The pleasure was all ours, dear Courtney. Looking forward to next week's date with the pink pump adventuress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad on the color palette, although I see there's a void of pink, probably much to your dissatisfaction. Eh?

    Aren't missing a lot here in Houston these days, it's hot and rainy! And misquitos the size of small lemons. One would think we lived in the swamp. Ugh.

    Miss You!

    ReplyDelete