Saturday, July 31, 2010

CHOCOLATE!





Ever since I arrived, I have been in the hot pursuit for chocolate. Anyone who knows anything about me knows I have never met a piece of chocolate that I did not enjoy. Back home my freezer always has a bag of dark chocolate chips just in case I need it. I was not intending to give up my personal stash, but Qatar had other plans. I have now checked at 4 different grocery stores and am officially convinced that the only chocolate chips in the country are the ones that are imported in a Chips Ahoy cookie. I have even asked the store clerks who either take me to the candy isle or straight to the potato chips.

Just so you are sure I am not crazy, other Americans are longing for chocolate as well (see picture of someones grocery list). Don't get me wrong, you can buy chocolate here & good chocolate at that. However, it comes in a fancy candy bar AND what I really want is nice little chip. I know I am being picky...but if I could have 70% cocoa as well that would be great!

Lucky for me, I was invited to accompany my new German friend to the Chocolate Bar on the Pearl where we live. It was wonderful! We were dipping strawberries, bananas, brownies, marshmallows, and some chocolate chip goody thing in rich milk chocolate at 4 in the afternoon. Now that is what I call a weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, got here through Sybil's link at her blog...You can actually find milk chocolate chips rather often in Giant Stores and I've seen them in Carrefour, next to the canned fruit. (if you ever find semi-sweet let me know!) and then you will be introduced to the fun hobby of "hoarding" as in: don't buy just one bag, if you see what you want, stock up girl (but don't take them all, leave one for the next guy)...for dark chocolate, your best bet might be to buy the Lindt dark chocolate bar and chop it. I mention that by name b/c it is 70% cocoa. I can't wait to try the "chocolate bar" you mentioned. Thanks for the tip! Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate bar is not the best at all. You need to try Maya La Chocolaterie which is the best place for Chocolate. Sybil wrote about it ;)
    http://qatariadventures.blogspot.com/2009/01/maya-la-chocolaterie.html

    cheerio :)

    ReplyDelete