Tuesday, September 7, 2010

When in Rome...

Do as the Romans do.  It became quickly apparent as soon as I received my local mobile phone that the Qatar culture is to not use voicemail. I am not even sure they have voicemail loaded on the cell phones. At first it was a little weird, people call and don't leave a message.  Most of the times, I would have no idea who they were. Now here is where my US customs kick in. As an American, I am very active in the use voicemail. So much so, that if you call and DON'T leave a message, you DON'T get a call back.  Not here!! I would see people the next day who would comment that I did not call them back from the day before. After several months, I have conformed. I find myself expecting people to call me back when I call and do not leave a message.  My how your deeply embedded customs can change in a few short months.

Leave a message at the ":BEEEEP..........................................".

No comments:

Post a Comment