Saturday, October 30, 2010

Doha Tribecca Film Festival





 Or DTFF for those of us who visited the festivities.  Opening night was earlier this week on Tuesday at the Doha's brand new cultural village. It was packed full of red carpet celebs such as Salma Hayak, Kevin Spacey, and the festival's biggest supporter, Robert Di Nero. The opening film (Above the Law) was showcased in an outdoor theater with the gulf on two sides.  It was my first French film. Good thing there were subtitles in English (and Arabic). 

The film festival took place over several days. Thursday night was capped off at the Four Seasons beach theatre. This is probably the coolest thing I have done since I arrived several months ago.  The film was "The Two Escobars".  A little disappointed because my husband saw the same film on ESPN in the US. Here I was feeling so special when I could have viewed it in the comfort of my own home for free.  However, if I had watched it at home, I could not have watched the entire movie with my feet in the sand. What a romantic setting, with lounge beach chairs, a warm breeze, the screen several yards out into the Gulf, AND goodie bags! 


Friday night was the not an exciting location, just at one of Doha's 8 malls, but the film was spectacular. I saw "Waiting for Superman", the documentary about the US public school system. Great film, very well done, and a must see!


No comments:

Post a Comment