Monday, November 1, 2010

Womens Tennis


Doha is not the most exciting place, but this weekend it was full of movie stars and world class athletes.  It was the Tribecca Film Festival and the Sony Ericcson Womens Tennis tournament which showcased the top 8 in the world. I am not a tennis fan nor do I really know or understand the rules of the game.  BUT, the one thing I have learned here, if it is happening in Doha, you go.  I saw the #1 in the world (don't ask me her name-she was blonde, I do know that) who is from Denmark.  I saw several other players, many who yelled EVERY time they hit the ball.
 
So while I did not learn anything new about the game of tennis, I did learn about the difference between Americans (and thier need for personal space) vs. other cultures. Sevearl times this evening, my personal space was impeded by someone trying to reach over  me to buy food, trying to pay for said food, and waiting in line to get into the areana.  I know I am short and sometimes easy to miss by people who are vertically advantaged (like my husband-he is a beacon in a crowd), but that is why I have a booming voice.At one point in time, I had to yell, "excuse me!!!".   It not that they were close, we were practically touching. Look everyone-its hot, we had all been at work ALL day, and no one needs to be that close unless you are behind closed doors with your spouse.  SO....back up!
#1 in the world (at least that is what the anouncer said)




No comments:

Post a Comment