Saturday, August 28, 2010

All dressed-up & No place to go

How do  we look?  This nice shop owner at the Waqif Souq decided to have some fun once he discovered we were from the States. 


Had I been wearing my local garb, my experience earlier that day at Carrefour grocery store would have made more sense. Let me start by declaring that I hit chocolate jackpot! I was standing in the bake section like a kid in a candy store because staring back at me was bags of chocolate chips (milk and semi-sweet!, still holding out to find 70% coca dark chocolate by the time I leave Qatar). Out of no where, a local man starts asking me where something is located in the grocery store. Now I am shocked by this for 2 reasons
1) Local men traditionally do not converse with women, especially non Qatari.  I looked around to ensure he was talking to me.  Definitely, talking to me. 
2) With my faux Prada bag and curly blond hair, I am clearly NOT a local. How would I know where anything is in this giant grocery store. I am lucky to be able to find the grocery store at all, let alone know where anything is located inside it.

So what did he ask me for?  I am not sure. I thought he was asking me about something about fried chicken. I asked him again because I was confused why he is asking me about fried chicken while there is a beaming light coming from the 3 bags of chocolate chips in my shopping cart (or "basket").  I inquired again on his fried chicken request. He got frustrated with me and quickly found a local Qatari woman to ask.  I went on my merry way with my chocolate chips and a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment