Monday, August 9, 2010

Hello neighbor, can I trouble you for a cup of....chili?

One of the loudest messages I heard before moving to the ME (Middle East) is that the expat community in Qatar is a close group of strangers. Stay in Qatar for a week or so and you can see why. Western foreigners stick out like a sore thumb.

This past Friday night, I experienced 1st hand the kindness of a "neighbor" and the closeness of the expat lifestyle. My neighbor in appartment #209, whom I met once geting off the elevator after work, rang my doorbell unexpectantly. Much to my surpise, the conversation went just like this:

Graham- "Hi, I thought you might be lonely over here and I am making chili. Would you like to come have dinner? I am making a big pot and will have to throw the rest of it away. I know I dont know you, but wanted to see if you want to come over for dinner"

Courtney- "really?" (as I thought in my head-is this really happening"

Graham- "Yes" (with a friendly smile).

Courtney- "Sure, I love chili. Give me 10 minutes". (At which point,lots of thoughts ran through my head including how much I trusted the company hiring practices)

We spent the next two hours talking about our families and the uniqueness of Qatar. After a large bowl of chili and a cup of coffee, I returned to my apartment happy to have met my new friend and neighbor.

2 comments:

  1. Homemade chili in Doha? Girl, you hit the jackpot! Love it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am not sure my comment worked the first time but I like your blog it reminds me of our own adventures! My husband and I got here around the same time you did and we can very much relate! We even have some of the same pics!

    ReplyDelete