Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Safety First

This glaring call for safety is on the building to the left (if you are staring towards the marina) of my building, so I guess that would make it Tower 3?  Anyways, safety is incredibly important given all the construction in Doha and crazy driving, however I love this sign for a different reason. My husband is a safety man by profession and he is always saying "safety first, honey, safety first".  I can't help but smile when I pass by this sign every day.  However, it did get me thinking about all the unsafe things we do in Qatar (or as an expat) and do not think twice about. So here is my list of unsafe acts that I have done here, all in the pursuit of meeting a new friend or just every day life:
  • Got in a car with a complete stranger (a white SUV to be exact) who you only know via email
  • Left my purse in my shopping cart while I turn my back
  • Run in 100-degree heat
  • (I have not done this myself since I can not drive) The non-utilization of the turn signal
  • Walked down a dark alley way in the city
  • Stop in the middle of a round-about (can't do this either, but this is "the spot" in Doha to meet your buddies)
  • Race VERY fancy cars (OK, not sure my Acura would count if it was here.  BUT the men here love the cars and they have a serious need for speed)

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Those safety first signs are for show. Wait till you see those guys stacking paint buckets to stand on in lieu of a ladder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, wait a minute...who are you calling a complete stranger?! ;)

    ReplyDelete