Saturday, November 20, 2010

The First Time


Last week my parents made the long journey from US to Qatar. This was their first time outside of the North American continent.   The long journey started what was sure to be a first of many....

We did the traditional events in Doha and Qatar; shopping and eating. I first took them to City Center to shop for groceries.  What a different experience that is compared to our local grocers in the States.  For
starters, my parents got their first look at a camel carcass, pulses, and European brands.

We went to the souk, smoked shisha and ate local food.  My parents are not smokers, but having the shisha experience was one I could not pass up. After a few "newbie" coughs, we looked like naturals (ok, not even close).  We did a safari tour where we went dune bashing and saw camels. The tour took us to the southern border of Qatar, where we saw the Saudi Mountain. The color difference between the blue water, beige sand, and reddish mountain was amazing!We spent our last days taking in high tea the Ritz and visiting the Museum of Islamic Art, designed by world renowned architect Pei, and touring the Gold Souk.
 
The best part of the week was experiencing the Middle East, all over again, with my parents. It was like discovering it again for the 1st time.  Thanks mom and dad for making the trip. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment