Saturday, November 27, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

This past Thursday, November 25th, was the US holiday of Thanksgiving. This is when we gather with family and friends to give "thanks" for the special aspects of our lives. This year, I celebrated in Qatar on Friday. Why Friday? Well, Thursday was a work day here so Friday it was.  Thursday came and went like it was not even a holiday (which felt very weird since I knew it was Thanksgiving, but it did not feel like it. I have only been doing this Thanksgiving thing my entire life...).  Friday, around 4pm, a beautiful turkey was placed on a fellow American co-workers dining room table along with all the fixins' brought by all the guests.  I was tasked with squash and cranberry sauce.  Squash is a new Thanksgiving side dish for me.  I honestly looked for squash (OK, only went to one store, but to my credit I do not have a car).  Instead, I went for yams. I googled "candied yams" the morning of and created a very tasty side dish. 

As for the cranberry sauce, I could find it in a jar.  The other 5 Americans brought salad, rolls, mashed potatoes, and pies.  We had pecan and apple pie with Cool Whip. Yes, Cool Whip.  (We even sang the "Cool Whip" song)

 There were about 10 people total, a few non-Americans who were interested in participating in our pastime.  Since we could not figure out how to get football, we decided to play drinking games.  Wow-what a great idea.  Americans are known for being loud...I am sure the entire Pearl community could hear us.  I have not laughed that hard in a long time.  Thanks for a great time.

I could not close this post about Thanksgiving without saying what I am thankful for;
-My loving and supporting handsome husband (you are my everything, but you already knew that!)
-My family and friends back home
-My new friends here in Qatar
-This experience
-My health (even if I am lactose intolerant-hence the problem with the cheesecake for my birthday)






No comments:

Post a Comment